A Jewelry Industry First - QR Code Ridden Promo Displays

Michael C. Fina and A. Jaffe have teamed up to debut the jewelry industry's first store window displays with embedded QR codes.  Michael C. Fina's five 45th Street window displays on 5th Ave will feature never before seen platinum bridal rings from A. Jaffe.  You can check out the displays until about October 11th.

Ok Jewelry Fans, You may be asking: "Dubya-tee-ef is a QR code?"

From Wikipedia.Com

A QR Code is a matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by QR scanners, mobile phones with a camera, and smartphones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data.

"...Although initially used for tracking parts in vehicle manufacturing, QR Codes are now used in a much broader context, including both commercial tracking applications and convenience-oriented applications aimed at mobile phone users (known as mobile tagging).

QR Codes storing addresses and URLs may appear in magazines, on signs, buses, business cards, or on just about any object about which users might need information. Users with a camera phone equipped with the correct reader application can scan the image of the QR Code to display text, contact information, connect to a wireless network, or open a web page in the phone's browser. This act of linking from physical world objects is known as a hardlink or physical world hyperlinks..."

In other words, passer"buys" will be able to be directed to websites, additional infomation, coupons etc by scanning the displays with their mobile devices.

What do you think?


Want to know more about how the fashion world is using QR codes? Check out the following articles from our friends at Phone Arena and DS Insights.

Phone Arena: Augmented Reality Fast Approaching Maturity

DSInsights: Giant Calvin Klein QR Code

Comments

Elizabeth said…
It's an interesting idea, technology-wise, but largely superfluous, I think. I can't be bothered to go to another "location" if I'm already in one. Like, I see ads in magazines that want me to scan or take photos of these things, to direct me to a website or to feed me a video. Ehhh, what else you got? :?
I personally hate the idea. : ) I'm so annoyed by all these things... like you said - what else you got... what other ways can they find to "sell" us...

oh I have one.. how about a great product at a price that makes sense with it.. get the word out a bit.. and there you go.

I was on the Macy's website the other day and found myself making collages of outfits.. did it doubly tripply expose me to the product and tempt me to buy things i didnt really want - I suppose, but I can't help but feeling these methods are slightly sleezy - and that eventally we'll all become desensitized.

Popular Posts