Claire's Launches Line of Recycled Silver Jewelry

Tweenie accessories giant Claire's announced the launch of "again," last week.  Again is a line of lightweight sterling silver accessories made from recycled silver.  The jewelry line has been made possible through the company's partnership with a leading fine metal salvaging firm.  Claire's stated that it plans to market the jewelry to young females who "grew up learning to prevent unnecessary waste."  The packaging is made of eco-friendly cardboard and vegetable inks.

Pieces from the line look remarkably similar to the cutsie Claire's aestetic that has been successful with their demographic for years.  The line will be sold in all Claire's boutiques in addition to the several "non-recycled" lines (pretty sure there is more plastic in a single Claire's location than at your average Tupperware party) available in its stores.  Regardless of the line, I don't think we'll see Claire's going totally artisan or recycled anytime soon. 

The launch reminds me of that of the organics line in Victoria Secret's Beauty.  Months ago, I found myself browsing the beautiful VS isles feeling conflicted as to whether I should buy the non-organic bottle of Endless Love I most enjoy the scent of, or the minimally scented VSB organic lotion and feel existentially better about my purchase.  I ended up walking out of the store with nothing but the notion that small specialty boutiques might want to consider going all or nothing on the earth concious consumer play. (hey, no one likes to make the "wrong" choice.)

For Claire's I'm not sure the recycled line will matter that much as I feel they've missed the mark with girls of such a young age.  Most young girls shopping in Claire's probably weren't raised to be all that environmentally concious - nor do I think most have developed the kind of self awareness to know what they stand for or feel good about (or the worldview it takes to truly grasp the global impact of any given manufactured product).  I do believe, however, that if they think the earrings are cute, they'll buy them. Their eco-consious aunt or uncle might choose "again" for a holiday gift as well. 

Comments

Kaity Stardust said…
"pretty sure there is more plastic in a single Claire's location than at your average Tupperware party"

HAHAHA. That is great, and so true.
Elizabeth said…
I'll check out the line to see if there's a possibility for an Xmas gift for my 14-year-old stepdaughter. She appreciates eco-responsibility. Alas, I think she'll be too old for it, but one never knows.
Anonymous said…
ah I think 14 is that age where many girls do appreciate that (and of course even some before that) - definitely a good gift option! : )

Popular Posts