Tea and Videos: Jewelry by Acclaimed 20th Century Sculptor Alexander Calder & Italian Diamond Jewelry by Elliot Chandler


Bird Teapot
China Hall Company
1938-1941
Some proclaim American sculptor Alexander Calder to be the most influential artist of the 20th century. By the 1960's he was known worldwide for his wire and kinetic (having a degree of movement) sculptures. He has been credited for inventing "the mobile." Art enthusiast (as well as babies) everywhere sing his praises for that one! Most are unaware, however, that he also created extraordinare wire jewelry as well. For today's tea and videos I'm sharing this video from the Philadelphia Museum of Art Alexander Calder jewelry exibit which took place in 2008. The is a must-see if you love wire jewelry, sculture, or the works of Alexander Calder. Check out my pick at marker 1:08/4:42. I'd love to wear this piece. I think its even more fun and outrageous than Madonna's cone bra of the 80's.



Like your sculptural flaire created in gold with diamonds on top?  Here Italian jeweler Elliot Chandler showcases some really wonderful pieces.  You can find my picks at marker 1:23/2:00 (these femme fatale style earrings are an all time favorite) and 0:16/2:00 (knotted mesh bracelets in fine rose and white gold).  The buckle ring is also done extremely tastefully.



Enjoy!

Comments

am gutierrez said…
Alexander Calder was brilliant - love his sculptural work and his jewelry - In my twenties, I was at a party in the Oakland hills where he was being feted... he asked me to dance , we danced to live music, in an open room with high ceilings, as his mobile sculptures danced overhead...
am gutierrez said…
Thanks for posting this about Calder - I did not know he was a third generation sculpture from Philadelphia... imagine working that wire to create such perfect pieces of simple, geometric complexity and beauty. Bravo!
Oh my goodness what a wonderful story Andrea!!! I have a special place in my heart for male artists who also create jewelry...something very wonderous about it!
Anonymous said…
Good evening

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post
Anonymous said…
Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you
Anonymous said…
You will get the most reasonable price and best quality of our replica watch [url=http://cheapreplicawatches.webstarts.com]rellica watch[/url]

Popular Posts