Kaity's Finds: Ear stretching a good fit?

It was around 2003 or 2004 when I was first familiarized with a trend known as ear stretching, often incorrectly referred to as "gauging." The idea seemed different and unique. I knew this style of jewelry would really suit my already alternative and quirky style. I had to have them! So one day, I walked proudly into Hot Topic and picked up a pair of generic tapers. Man, was I stoked! I was a bit concerned it would hurt, so I made sure to use a small gauge to begin with. Because I did it right, It didn't feel any worse than when it was originally pierced! I continued to stretch my holes and buy more and more gauges. It was fun, and it looked great on me!

"One of the earliest examples of stretched ears was found on a 5300 year old, naturally preserved mummy known as Ötzi, the Iceman. While no stretched ear jewelry was found, it is speculated that the plugs were made of an organic material such as wood. Most likely they had dissolved leaving only the tell tale stretched holes in the ear lobes. The giant Moai statues found on Easter Island were carved about 1100CE and sport elaborately stretched ear lobes. In fact, a common tale to explain the history of the statue carvers was that the original inhabitants were known as ‘Long Ears’ because of their cultural appreciation of stretched ears. They started carving the statues in honor of their ancestors when another tribe, the ‘Short Ears’, migrated to the island. The ‘Long Ears’ enslaved the newcomers and forced them to carve more statues. Later, the balance of power shifted. The ‘Short Ears’ were more numerous and they rebelled. They took over the island and toppled the statues. Across the sea in Egypt we find that even King Tutankhamen is portrayed with stretched ears. His statues and portraits show stretched ear lobes and the holes in his death mask accommodate jewelry bars that are about 10mm wide." - Resource from Brinestone Organics' "History, Culture and Stretched Ears" (p.3)


Indian Karanphul, which means 'ear-flower,' silver plugs.

"Bir" plugs from Tharu women of Nepal. The word bir is used to describe any Tharu earrings with round flower designs.

Tibeten "Aylong" earrings with turquoise and coral.
After a while of wearing gauges, I came upon a pretty annoying dilemma. I never knew what to do when I had to attend certain events that required me to wear more "feminine" and less "alternative" styles of ear jewelry. Thus, my hunt for more feminine, pretty, and elaborate gauges began!

As I scoured the internet for gauges that fit my expectations, I became more and more excited. I found so many artisans who's work was mind blowing. Anyway, here are some of my favorite "feminine finds"...


Gorgeous (REAL) Amber Plugs










If you have any more questions regarding gauges, how to stretch your ears properly, or what gauge size means what, check out http://www.howtoscretchyourears.com/. I really hope you guys grooved on this article!

Stay tuned next Wednesday for another post of "Kaity's Finds!"

Love,


Comments

am gutierrez said…
"gROvin" to your article - who knew there was so much to learn about ear lobe stretching... a whole wide world of wonder was opened for me today...thanks! love the earrings...both fem and not!
Anonymous said…
Not really into ear stretching, but all those look wicked cool.
Anonymous said…
If I was goth I'd totes be into stretching my ears
Anonymous said…
when i was in highschool i was into ear stretching, but never went through with it. kind of glad i never did it because now i'm not into ear stretching. but this was a cool article.
Quinn said…
I never was tempted to gauge. It's just a little too limiting for me. One of the big issues was that there wasn't the ability to look anything but punk or tribal. It's nice to see there are more styles than that out there. I'm glad that men and women who do stretch have many options. :-)
Anonymous said…
Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!
Kaity Stardust said…
thank you so much everyone for all your lovely responses!!

<3 kaity
Anonymous said…
I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

Popular Posts