Why have watches grown in popularity despite increased cell phone use?

Vocalist Ke$ha shows off her
 Casio Baby G watches
Form follows Function...Fashion Follows...What?

I've felt it creeping up like the sands of time for the past...oh, say, about four years now - watches gaining traction!  Just when you thought they were dead in the water, they've floated to the top of luxury must have lists (gears in tact and everything! ;) 

Has anyone else been a little perplexed by this? Back in the late 1990's when cellular telephones became widely affordable, watches started seem a little uneccessary.  I personally watched the watch shelf space at high end department stores begin to lend itself more and more to clockless jewelry.  Who needs two clocks in a 10 inch radius, right?  Well, this fall's explosion in watch production (timepieces if you're fabulous) by major brands suggests that indeed, we do!

I suppose now that we all have time readily available just a few unlock keys away, the idea of a watch has become even more superfluous...and that by definition, I would contend, is precisely why they have become an even more sought after fashion statement.

Watches from famous brands likely to be best sellers:

Marc Jacobs.
Pirate Miss Marc Watch
175.00 - Bloomingdales


















Juicy Couture "J Couture Princess" Watch
95.00 - Bloomingdales

La Mer Collections
130.00 - Bloomingdales













and, let's not forget...
Casio Baby G (Yes, they're back.)  Celebrity vocalist Ke$ha was just named brand ambassador.
79.00 - Bloomingdales







Want to take the trend to the next level of superfluous?  Here's a tip from my last post!

Roman Numeral Clock Purse
http://www.quirkyfinds.com/
...sorry, sold! : )

My grandmother used to pick these up as free gifts at Harrah's down in Atlantic City and give them to me to stash teddy bears in.  Boy am I sad I sold them all...especially the 2 X 3 foot piece in shiny red patent leather.  Oh well, we live and learn.

If you don't want to become a little melancholy, watch this with the sound off for some timepiece love:



Comments

Kaity Stardust said…
Yay, I just bought a watch yesterday before reading this. Perfect music video selection!
Very awesome! - I'll be buying one this Fall, but not sure which yet! Let me know if you want to post yours! : )
Kaity Stardust said…
sure thing! i wish i could find my old swatch my uncle gave me. :(
WendyB said…
Well, this is good timing (ha! accidental pun) considering what's been on my mind! As I said in my post today, I've found that a cellphone is much less convenient than a watch. I've got to get it out of my pocket and purse and press a button...meanwhile the watch is always available.
That's such a practical point...especially if the inside of one's purse looks like mine!...and while the new phones are pretty sleek, its hard to out-pretty the Hermes watch on the Wendy Brandes blog. Good timing indeed! lol : )
Unknown said…
that girl has too many watches ...I tried that once it lasted 15 seconds long enough for me to put on 3 watches then take off 2 lol

Popular Posts