Victorian Trends in Accessories

Stauer Repro 
Victorian Mourning Jewelry
Growing up with my grandmother I was lucky to be surrounded by antiques from an early age.  This might have meant we didn't have the newest things...but it worked out for the better in shaping my tastes!  Arguably best of all, I had access to several antique family photographs.  Since my grandmother was born in the 1920's, this made her mother part of the victorian era.  I was always mesmerized by the pictures of my ancestors in this era before knowing much detail about it. 

Lace Up Boots
Nordstrom  Fall2010
The mesmerization was basically the result of two main factors...Intense (often lacy) dresses and simply wicked looking black lace up boots...I mean...really wicked looking.  I remember asking my grandmother (whose personal style was eccentric and self proclaimed "Spanish Gothic" - more on this in a future post) "What's with those things?"  To that she would say "They're just work boots"  I remember my feeling of added confusion as often the background in the pictures was some kind of wooden cart or a dusty looking field.

so let's get this straight...lacey dress...high-heeled narrow tipped tight laced boots are appropriate attire for a dusty field?  Sure it wasn't practical but I think it goes without saying that fashion isn't always based on practicality.  Queen Victoria's reign in England made feminine frills and opulence (for those who could afford it) key for women around the world, after all both England and the United states were experiencing economic growth.  Whether you were in the fields in Pennsylvania or in England's Buckingham Palace you needed to dawn frilly feminine flair.

Today, strangely enough, in economic times that actually seem quite opposite, we've seen the Victorian trend hit again.  It touched in 2009, and now we are seeing pieces of it again sprinkled throughout retail shelves.  Its hard to speculate as to why...but when its even filtered into mass retailers like Target, you know its something (and those target victorian boots manage to look even more painful than the originals - see below)! 

Uniquely Styled Antique Victorian Boots
Lovely?
Walking by Charlotte Rousse in the mall the other day revealed windows filled with lacy dresses and fake cameo and pearl jewelry.  One blogger recently gave in and bought a lacy dress on etsy (link to come)!    Also, check out these boots that designer/blogger Wendy Brandes posted a  picture of recently (probably because I dished on her site that I was missing the ones I purchased years ago - so helpful!)  They feature the lace up front like a Victorian boot as well and are bizarrely sexy.


Channeling Women's Boots of Days Gone By...
Free People
$298
Pearls, mother of pearl, and cameos (especially), all popular in Victorian upper class dress are making their way into the jewelry scene as well.  I doubt anyone will start carrying around lace parasols outside the gothic scene anytime soon, but more women might be saying yes to victorian lace gloves.


Modern Victorian Style Brooch
Victorian Style Boots
Available on Target.Com...I challenge you to
tell me these are comfortable!

Just a Tip: When shopping for estate jewelry or clothing, be sure to differentiate Victorian Style Vintage from Authentic Victorian

<><>
<>  <><><>

Comments

Kaity Stardust said…
those boots are miraculous!
WendyB said…
Always happy to be of help when it comes to tracking down boots! But you left out my Victoria ring! http://wendybrandes.com/pro-detail.php?colid=28&collect=true&id=229
"OMG" that does need to be in the post! : ) Thanks!
Anonymous said…
i so wish i could rock a Victorian fashion sense & some jewelry like that. beautiful brooch!

Popular Posts