Hip Folk Fashion - Basted YoYo Necklaces

Yo-Yo Necklace by Cookoorikoo on Etsy
Obviously on jewelry dose daily, we're a little bit country...a little bit rock and roll.  The handcrafted trend in jewelry is huge right now, so when I found this picture, I felt like I needed to share it with you.  By the way, word to the high fashion wise, it's a little bit country... but in its own way, that's so rock and roll.


When I saw this picture, I couldn't resist putting it up, mostly because one of my grandmothers used to make beautiful quilts out of these basted "yo-yo's."  She actually taught me to do the same and believe me, you can too.  I honestly Never thought I'd see them as a necklace but here they are.  This particular assortment is available through Cookoorikoo on Etsy and was shown at the famous Renegade craft fair in San Francisco this summer. 

The funny thing about these necklaces is that, although this white backboard background is a little distracting, they would look gorgeous with a boho chic maxi or shorts, tank, and high tops complete with chunky bangs.  You may not be into vintage patterns or less refined pieces, but I couldn't resist thinking that the clustered composition and prospect of doing it yourself/buying handmade was neat!  Cookoorikoo is an expert at mixing colors and composing necklaces, earrings, hairpieces and other goodies of of yo-yo's and other things.


A darker take on the Yo Yo necklace by Cookooriko on Etsy - Fun!

*to make a "yo-yo" simply cut a piece of fabric into a circle using a stencil.  Fold all the sides into the center point and "baste" around the center edge with a needle and thread.  In other words, sew the folded in center together.  Once you have made one, the others will come out even better.  Before you know it you'll have several to sew together in any way that you's like!  You can vary the sizes or keep them uniform.  

No time to do it yourself - Cookoorikoo on Etsy does it quite well for you!

Comments

Kaity Stardust said…
very unique! i wish i could sew. :(

Popular Posts