Promises, Promises! A'las my vintage jewelry find...and where to find your own like it.

...so What or Whoo (sorry, couldn't resist) do you get when you blend the 1980's, A little bit of Art Deco, and legendary direct sales giant Avon all together in a 2 x 3 inch space?  If you would've asked me before last week's trip to quirky, remote, and sleepy mountain town, Jim Thorpe PA, I would've said "a mess."  Since then, I've learned that maybe miracles really can happen!  Sure, avon jewelry has always had its following and their 80s pieces have come back into the picture as of late to dress up your tunic and leggings in a gaudy, bright, beautiful way... but this...this little elegant guy.. I would have NEVER pegged 1980's avon for.  When I saw him in the $2 tin filled with plastic buttons, halloween pumpkin broaches, and other unidentifiable beat up objects, I couldn't believe his beautiful green bejeweled eyes, securely set after almost 20 years!  ...of course I had to ask the shopkeeper, and I have to admit the expression on my face said "five year old" when I learned it wasn't a mistake.  Yes, he was $2!  ...and that amounts to probably less than 1 penny per idea I had to revive him back into good use. The brushed gold finish is perfect (the picture doesn't do it justice) and the mechanics of the swinging wing are anything by chinsy.  They just don't make costume jewelry like this anymore.  Sure, the locket type opening originally held some sort of perfume, one on which I probably wouldn't bet it smelled that great...but no matter what-so-ever.  This guy could now be turned into a picture holder or countless other things.  For me he is most likely going to become the beautiful somewhat art deco accent on a custom vintage patterned clutch.  I would also be happy to wear this as a brooch, create a bold ring with him(some technical skill required) or (much more easily) put him on a long chain for a perfect necklace.  Lucky for you apparently a lot of these little guys were made!  If you want me to post a link of where I know you can find your own on the internet, please let me know.  I can't promise your will be $2 though!  Also, although he has been snagged, there are plenty more amazing vintage pieces to see at the shop where I found him in Jim Thorpe, PA.  Please visit Four Seasons at 108 Broadway in Jim Thorpe PA and support small town commerce and tourism! (no, I wasn't paid to say that - you REALLY have to see this place!)  Email me if you would like their phone number.  If you have any comments or other ideas about what to do with this gorgeous piece, I would LOVE you to post your comments!

^Owls have made a comeback, so for those of you who have collected them all along, here is a unique interpretation that you are likely to be one of the few to own!

Comments

Ok you guys really twisted my arm, so here is one place to get it onlin - you can also search etsy vintage for avon owl brooch: http://www.etsy.com/listing/48215430/vintage-avon-owl-perfume-brooch?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=avon+owl+brooch&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
am gutierrez said…
I missed this post- I love this owl - must find !

Popular Posts